Sunday, November 22, 2009

Are we all thiefs?


In my notes from earlier in the semester, I wrote down how everyone steals from everyone else. Ex: In the novel Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov, the moon steals its light from the sun. This interested me because it made me wonder if anything in our world exists without stealing something from another being, element or object. (I understand that in an ecosystem, all the different elements and beings work together and need each other for existence, but lets forget about that right now.) For example, are the words that leave everyone's mouth's truly their own, or are they a combination of many different ideas that have evolved into ones way of thinking over time? (Greg Keeler once said that there are two types of writing: creative writing and plagiarism.) It makes me wonder where original thinking actually takes place- and if someones supposed original thinking is truly original, or if another unknown had thought about it once before and failed to publish it.

When I was a child, I struggled with the concept of being the only person in the entire world to do something, so I would sometimes contort my body into a weird shape or make some bizzare noise and wonder if there has even been a person in the history of existence to do that before me. On other occasions I would find a small piece of sand on the beach, or notice a small blade of grass, and wonder to myself if I was the only person, in the entire world, to ever look at that particular object.

So this makes me wonder, on a different level than when I was a young child, if our thoughts and ideas are ever 100 percent completely original or if we are just stealing them from all the different pieces of knowledge we have learned over time.

Anyways- is everything in our world guilty of stealing? Ill let you decide. Here are some ideas of how everything steals: The moon steals its light from the sun, the pencils used to write down "original" ideas steal their body from many trees, clouds steal their entire makeup from the depleting bodies of water on earth, tall structures steal daylight from the smaller ones that lurk in their shadows, this computer is stealing energy from our earths remaining recourses, my dog is stealing my attention that should be focused on school rather than her ball, and the ball is stealing valuable space in my house. Regardless. My question to you is, is there anything that exists in the world solely on its own, and does not depend on or steal from anything else?

In a quote from Singer I realized what he would consider at thief, and what is not classified as one.
(1986), Singer wrote, "When a human kills an animal for food, he is neglecting his own hunger for justice. Man prays for mercy, but is unwilling to extend it to others. Why should man then expect mercy from God? It's unfair to expect something that you are not willing to give. It is inconsistent. I can never accept inconsistency or injustice. Even if it comes from God. If there would come a voice from God saying, "I'm against vegetarianism!" I would say, "Well, I am for it!" This is how strongly I feel in this regard."
-Is being a thief just taking something that you are not willing to give back???

No comments:

Post a Comment